Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Gainesville, Florida
Drivers today are expected to act with reasonable care when they operate their vehicles, and to obey a number of safety rules and regulations. This is to protect others on the road, including pedestrians. Unfortunately, drivers can sometimes be unreasonably careless and fail to live up to basic safety rules. On average, there is a pedestrian death every 1.6 hours in the United States.
If a driver’s bad choices or careless actions lead to a collision, a pedestrian walking on or near streets and sidewalks can suffer grave injury. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to understand your rights, as you may be entitled to compensation. One of our pedestrian accident attorneys can evaluate your case, explain your options and help you pursue damages to cover your losses.
YOUR RIGHTS AFTER A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT
In some cases, accidents involving pedestrians are just accidents, or may be the result of unsafe conditions that result in a slip and fall. However, if a driver on the road does something wrong on the road and injures a pedestrian with their vehicle, they can be made to compensate for any and all losses from the accident. In order to receive compensation, the pedestrian needs to prove:
- That the driver broke a clear driving rule, such as speed limit laws or failing to yield, and/or that the driver was more careless than any average driver on the road
- That the accident was directly caused by a driver’s negligence, rule/law violation, or general carelessness
- Actual, serious harm resulted from the crash, which the driver can compensate the victim for
If these three things can be proved, both pedestrians hurt in crashes themselves and family members of those killed can pursue claims against the driver responsible. There is no requirement that these cases need to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, unlike in criminal court. The driver can be made to compensate the accident victim just by a preponderance of evidence alone.
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY
Accidents involving pedestrians can cause serious and permanent injuries. Injury and wrongful death claims around pedestrian collisions are made with the goal of ensuring that the victims have enough money to meet their often expensive medical needs. Damages that can be awarded to injured pedestrians include:
- Payment for all medical costs, such as hospital bills, including payments for future procedures you may need further down the line
- Compensation for loss of missed work, as well as loss of earning potential from any disability that may result from the accident
- Pain and suffering, as well as emotional distress
- Any wrongful death losses such as funeral expenses, loss of income for those dependant on the deceased, and lost companionship
How We Can Help
It is important to consult with a pedestrian accident attorney right away if you or a loved one has been injured by a reckless driver. You have an obligation to prove your case to recover compensation, and our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers can help. We will:
- Help you to gather evidence necessary to prove the driver was at fault
- Advise you on pursuing compensation, including what your options are and what amounts you can demand
- Deal with insurance companies and witnesses on your behalf, to give you time to recover
- Assist you in building a case to present to a judge or a jury with the strength to win the case
Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Gainesville
We will answer any questions our clients may have, explain their legal rights, and help them through every step of this difficult process. We are committed to each client and helping them receive the compensation they deserve.
If you are a pedestrian injured in a car accident, contact The Eberst Law Firm online or call our Gainesville office at 772-225-4900 to discuss your case in a free consultation with one of our experienced Gainesville pedestrian accident attorneys.