From January to August 2023, 232,378 motor vehicle accidents in Florida led to 1,975 fatalities and 148,296 injuries. Since our state can be dangerous to drive, understanding the factors contributing to vehicle safety and staying informed about the safest car options is essential.
There are a lot of factors that go into making a car safe. Organizations around the world conduct rigorous safety assessments and crash tests. These tests provide consumers with valuable information about the safest vehicles on the market.
But no matter how safe a car may be, there are still negligent drivers. If one caused an accident that hurt you or a loved one, The Eberst Law Firm is ready to help. Contact us online or call 1-888-CALL-JON to learn how we can help you obtain maximum compensation.
Factors Determining Vehicle Safety
The design and construction of a car play a pivotal role in its safety – and vehicles are safer than they’ve ever been. Cars built with high-strength materials and well-engineered structures are better equipped to withstand crashes and protect passengers.
Manufacturers equip modern vehicles with an array of safety features. These include airbags, Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Electronic Stability Control (ESP), and traction control. These features mitigate the impact of collisions and help drivers maintain control in emergencies.
Vehicles also undergo various crash tests, including front, side, and rollover tests. Organizations evaluate how well cars protect occupants during different types of collisions, assigning ratings based on performance.
Other innovations like adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot detection, and automatic emergency braking contribute to accident prevention and safer driving experiences.
Yet another safety consideration is the size and weight of a vehicle. While smaller, lighter cars may offer better fuel efficiency, larger and heavier vehicles tend to perform better in crashes due to their enhanced ability to absorb impact forces.
Safety Ratings and Organizations
Several reputable organizations publish yearly safety ratings. These include the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), and the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP).
These organizations conduct extensive safety assessments, including crash tests and evaluations of safety technologies. These assessments encompass various criteria, such as crash tests, safety features, and overall performance in simulated accident scenarios.
The goal is to identify vehicles that achieve high crash test ratings and integrate advanced safety technologies that mitigate the likelihood of accidents and minimize their impact.
Top Safest Cars in America
Some prime examples of vehicles that consistently rank among the safest cars in America include:
- Toyota Camry: The Toyota Camry is known for its well-rounded safety features, strong crash test performance, and reputation for reliability. With advanced driver assistance systems like adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking, the Camry offers an extra layer of protection on the road.
- Honda Accord: The Honda Accord boasts a strong safety record, garnering high marks in crash tests and safety assessments. It features Honda Sensing, a suite of advanced safety features that includes collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, and adaptive cruise control.
- Subaru Outback: Organizations often recognize the Subaru Outback’s all-wheel-drive system and robust safety features. Subaru’s EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, which includes adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning, contributes to its reputation for safety.
- Tesla Model Y: The Tesla Model Y stands out with its electric propulsion and advanced driver assistance features under the Autopilot system. Its cutting-edge technology includes features like automatic lane-keeping and self-parking.
These models excel in crash test performance and provide a comprehensive suite of safety technologies. These technologies actively prevent accidents and protect passengers.
How to Choose the Safest Car
Choosing the safest car for your needs involves several considerations, including the following:
- Family size: The size and seating capacity of the car should align with your family’s needs, ensuring that everyone can travel safely and comfortably.
- Budget: Set a budget that allows you to consider vehicles with strong safety ratings and advanced safety technologies without compromising financial stability.
- Driving conditions: Consider your typical driving environment. Vehicles with advanced driver assistance technologies can enhance safety if you often drive on busy urban streets or highways.
- Research safety ratings: Consult safety ratings and crash test results from trusted organizations like the NHTSA and IIHS to understand how different models perform in various scenarios.
- Advanced safety features: Prioritize vehicles equipped with advanced safety features like automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind spot monitoring.
Other Considerations for Safe Driving
While vehicle safety features are crucial, responsible driving behavior is equally vital in ensuring road safety. Always keep the following in mind when you’re behind the wheel.
- Adhering to traffic rules: Following traffic rules and regulations reduces the risk of accidents and ensures a safe driving environment for all road users.
- Avoiding distractions: Distractions like texting, phone use, and eating can divert your attention from the road. Stay focused on driving to prevent accidents.
- Abstaining from impaired driving: Please never take the wheel when under the effects of alcohol or drugs. Driving while impaired substantially increases the chances of causing an accident.
- Proper vehicle maintenance: Regular vehicle maintenance, including brake checks, tire rotations, and fluid changes. This keeps your car in optimal condition for safe driving.
- Driver training programs: Enroll in driver training programs to improve your driving skills, enhance your understanding of road safety, and foster responsible driving habits.
Contact The Eberst Law Firm if You Get Into a Car Accident
The attorneys with The Eberst Law Firm have extensive experience helping people who have suffered injuries in car accidents caused by another’s negligence. We’ll investigate to determine who was to blame and then pursue them for the compensation you deserve.
Our law firm will do all we can to gather the evidence needed to prove you weren’t responsible. We’ll then work to obtain a fair settlement on your behalf. If the at-fault driver’s insurer refuses to settle, we’ll be ready to take them to trial.